Monday, January 04, 2010

Resolutions? Nah.

I know it's already the fourth day of 2010 and if I were going to make any resolutions for the New Year, I probably should have already done it. It doesn't really matter in any case. I'm not good at resolutions. At all.

I am much better at thinking something through, weighing the possibilities of positive outcomes versus complete and utter embarrassment and total system fail. For example: If I were to make a resolution that this was the year to learn snowboarding.....there is a very good chance that some part of my body would cuddle up to a cast and I would join the throng of people lined up at the fracture clinic at our local hospital. That comes close to a total system fail from where I'm sitting - so that's a negative on the snowboarding.

Are you getting the idea?

Now before you start thinking that I take a pessimistic "glass half empty" look at things, remember that I've lived in this skin for fifty years now. I know precisely how uncoordinated and un-athletic I am. I know that. It's just part of being me. Let's think of it as reality-based thinking as opposed to negative, shall we?

It's not that I have no goals for 2010 (see post below). I will probably run that 5K this spring and I will feel good about it. What will be missing is the Resolution List which is sort of a shortened version of a Bucket List. The difference is that it has to happen within the year as opposed to the time prior to one's ultimate demise.

Who needs that kind of pressure?

I think I'll wait until July to decide what I want to do this year. Whatever I've already done and feel good about stays on the list. Whatever I haven't done and probably won't have time to do before year's end can always wait for 2011.

That's July 2011. Of course.

3 comments:

God_Guurrlll said...

I made it easy on myself this year. I had one resolution that I knew I could complete in one day. I resolved to straighten up and clean out my guest room closet. Spent New Years day doing it. Now my guests have a place to hang their clothes and I have the satisfaction of a resolution accomplished.

kathy a. said...

i'm so with you on resolutions. but i love the idea of a mid-year to-do list! points for what you already did; encouragement for the last half of the year; what's not to adore?

Terri said...

I never make resolutions at New Year, but I do have goals and objectives for my life that fall roughly a year span, give or take a decade....

You're going to run a 5K...oh my goodness. I'd have to get an old ladies bladder sling to do that...